Oprah Winfrey is a household name almost everyone knows of. Oprah is a television icon, using her fame and money to help those around her. However, she is also a very successful businesswoman, being one of the richest women in the world. In this article, we will take a look at some Oprah Winfrey facts and analyze her business and industry success.
Oprah Winfrey was born in 1954 in Mississippi. She began her career in broadcasting, at the age of 17 at the radio station WVOL. Her rise through the ranks was swift and impressive. At 19, she became an anchorwoman for WTFV-TV. This made her both the first African American woman and the youngest ever person to do so. In 1976, she co-anchored WJZ-TV’s Six O’Clock News. Soon, she made the switch to hosting talk shows, starting with People Are Talking. This would be the start of an illustrious career in the entertainment industry, as her famous talk show “The Oprah Winfrey Show” would go viral.
Oprah Winfrey does not consider herself an entrepreneur, but she definitely is a very successful one. Her talk shows, movies, magazines, and other ventures have enabled her to become the first-ever Black woman to become a billionaire. Here are some famous Oprah Winfrey Businesses:
Read: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Net Worth Shoots Past Billion Dollars
The cream of the crop. Everyone knows about the Oprah Winfrey Show, which is considered to be the most successful TV show in history. The show started in 1984 as AM Chicago, but due to its incredible success due to Oprah’s hosting, it was renamed to the Oprah Winfrey Show. The show had a total of 25 seasons, going off air in 2011 as the best-ranked show in American TV history. It won numerous Emmy awards, airing in more than 100 countries, and having tens of millions of viewers every week.
Oprah founded her own production facility in 1988 by the name of Harpo Productions. The name was just ‘Oprah’ spelt backwards. However, the company name transformed to Harpo, Inc. later.
Oprah has worked tirelessly for women rights and is a role model for many. In her attempt to promote women in the industry, she co-founded Oxygen Media which runs Oxygen Network, a cable network for women reaching more than 54 million viewers.
Oprah launched “O, The Oprah Magazine” in partnership with Hearst Magazines in 2000. This magazine went on to become one of the leading women’s lifestyle magazines. Currently, its production and reach is more than that of Vogue with 2 million monthly viewers. Fortune even called it “the most successful start-up ever in the industry.
Oprah.com is one of the leading women’s lifestyle websites worldwide. It currently has 13 million users per month and more than 75 million page views. It also hosts Oprah’s Bookclub, which is the largest book club in the world with more than 500,000 members.
She uses her wealth to maintain control of her ventures and brands while helping others in the process. Everything that uses her brand name is put out by her company under her direct supervision. Even the deals with ABC, Oxygen Network and Hearst Magazines are basically distribution deals where she has full control, while also owning 90% of Harpo’s stock. The other 10% is owned by her business partner and president of Harpo Jeff Jacobs
Oprah is well-known for her philanthropic work. She has used her fame and money to make a difference and bring about everlasting change. Here are some of her some notable philanthropist causes:
In 1987 Oprah created The Oprah Winfrey Foundation “to support the education and empowerment of women, children, and families in the United States and around the world.” Her organization has funded various organizations around the world, donating millions.
Oprah founded Oprah’s Angel Network to inspire others to make a difference with their resources in the lives of those less fortunate. So far, the organization has accumulated $80 million from audience donations and celebrity contributors.
Here were some notable Oprah Winfrey facts about her businesses. She is considered one of the greatest female entrepreneurs of all time, one that made a difference through her fame and power. Oprah lives her life for the betterment of others and has inspired many people, especially women, around the world. A true role model to look up to.
Read: Did Kylie Jenner Lie Her Way to The Billionaire Status?